The DriveSafe website provides information and advice to international drivers planning driving holidays here in New Zealand. They can teach you about driving in New Zealand, and the local New Zealand road rules.
Top Tips for Driving in New Zealand
- We drive on the left-hand side of the road.
- Take your time. Journeys can take longer than you think.
- Our roads are narrower, more winding and sometimes steeper than you might expect.
- Our roads are mostly two-way, with one lane in each direction - we have few motorways.
- Not all railway crossings have active warnings.
- Seat belts are compulsory for everyone in the vehicle.
- It's illegal to use a phone while driving.
Also, make sure you take regular breaks and give yourself plenty of time to reach your next destination. The silver lining there: that gives you lots of opportunities to enjoy the scenery and local hospitality!